If there’s anything as nerve-wracking as going to the dentist, it’s choosing a dental practice. Any profession that has used “painless” as a key selling point for nearly 200 years is bound to cause some anxiety. However, it needn’t be like this. Modern dentistry is as close to painless as it can be, and there are almost certainly numerous skilled professionals in your area from which to choose. The trick is finding the one that suits you best.
So how can you be sure your dentist is the right one for you? Much of it relies on personal preference for general dentistry services in Arkansas. But if you follow the steps below, we can promise that choosing a dental practice will be at least as painless as the dentist is.
Before You Start Choosing Your Dental Practice
With today’s resources, you’re likely to find more names than you know what to do with. So before you start your first internet search, take stock of what you already know.
- Location: Where’s the best place to see your dentist? Are you more likely to be at home or work when leaving for your appointments? How far are you willing to go to get just the right dentist? Answer these two questions, and you’ve greatly improved your chance of success.
- Services: When will the doctor see you? Are weekends and evening appointments a necessity? Is a full range of services, like restorative dentistry services in AR, important to you, or do you not mind going elsewhere for special procedures? Knowing what you want makes it more likely you’ll get it.
- Benefits: Money is always an object, so be sure you know the details of your dental plan. Who’s your provider? What do they cover and not cover? Be sure to have this information handy when you start reaching out to individual practices.
Like detective work, there’s a mix of science and instinct that goes into choosing your dental practice. Do as much research as you can. But if something seems sketchy, move on.
- The internet: You’re on it now, so it’s already playing a part in choosing your dental practice. But before you get overwhelmed by search results, see if you can narrow your scope a bit. Use a specialty search service like the one offered by the American Dental Association (ADA). Why not take advantage of the work they’ve already done in finding reliable professionals?
- Local knowledge: Check with your state or local dental society for information on dentists in your search area. They’d be glad to help. Plus, they’re far more objective than local online reviews or magazine “best of” lists.
- Ask around: Call us old-fashioned, but we still believe in the value of word-of-mouth. Make sure you can trust the source, of course, since you’re getting an opinion. But if your best friend raves about their dentist, give them a call.
Final Decision When Choosing Your Dental Practice
By now, you should have a shortlist of promising leads. Check the online presence for each one. Read the blurbs and check out the pictures. Get a feel for the image they’re trying to project and whether or not it matches your personality. As you do, put together a list of any questions you might have about the practice. Then call.
If the office is willing to answer your questions on the phone, that’s fine. But you can also schedule a meeting to ask them in person. If you go this route, have all your questions ready. Bring your dental records, too, if you can, as well as all your insurance information to check your dental insurance coverage in AR. Be sure all your questions are answered and concerns addressed before you leave. Remember, you’re the customer. It’s in the doctor’s best interest to be sure you’re satisfied before you entrust them with your oral health. You’ll find the best dentist in Northwest Arkansas in no time.
Marcus Black, DDS
If you’re in the Northwest Arkansas area and are choosing your dental practice, be sure to check out Marcus Black, DDS. We offer comprehensive dental services with professional care and courtesy you can depend on. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at 479.322.3548.